Subject: optimizing kernel for R5000
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Salvador =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fandi=F1o?= <sfandino@yahoo.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/18/2002 18:05:28
Hello,

Yesterday, I sucessfully installed NetBSD on an Indy with a R5000
processor. I was also able to recompile the kernel including only the
things that I need and everything was working fine.

But I have noticed that the kernel is being compiled for the MIPS I
instruction set with is suboptimal and I would like to know if there is
any way to use all the possibilities of the R5000.

Well, actually I have been trying adding the line:

makeoptions CFLAGS="-mr5000 -mips4 -long32 -Wa,-m5000,-mips4"

but as expected, it makes the kernel crash on startup.

I have also tried:

makeoptions CFLAGS="-mr5000, -Wa,m5000"

that seems to work.

so, is there any better set of options to use?

bye,

   - Salva