Subject: Re: Problem Booting netbsd on a O2
To: Marcello Mezzanotti <mezzanet@iname.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 10/03/2002 16:06:29
--==_Exmh_-1323976036P

In message <1033670640.11686.19.camel@mezzanet.intranet>, you write:

-> Hello, im trying to install netbsd 1.6 on a R5000 O2

Let me save you some trouble -- 1.6 won't run on the O2.  There's work
ongoing to revive the O2 support, but it ain't there yet.  Just out of
curiosity, what are the specs of your O2? (as reported by hinv)

-> my dhcp/tftp server is a linux redhat 7.3
->
-> my tftp is working because i tried to get some files from another
-> machine and everything goes ok
->
-> my dhcpd.conf is this

Here's a host entry for my O2, using the tftp server on the wired
(3com) interface on my laptop:

host toaster {
  option host-name "toaster";
  hardware ethernet 08:00:69:xx:xx:xx;
  fixed-address 192.168.xxx.xxx;
  server-name "lap-3com:/usr/rafal/sgimips/root";
  next-server lap-3com;
}

and I then boot like this:

>> boot -f bootp():/netbsd.o2.work-in-progress

I believe `next-server' is used for the TFTP server and `server-name' is
used for the root FS.

I don't have access to any of my sgimips machines right now (still boxed
up from a move), so I'm not sure if your way of booting is equally valid
or not.  Note that you may need to tweak the network settings of your
RedHat box if that's also the TFTP server, as it did some stuff that
confused the ARCS PROM, IIRC... See the linux-mips FAQ for that.

Nota Bene: Neither the 1.6 nor the -current code will work on the O2
right now anyway, so don't get your hopes up.  As I said earlier, it
is being worked on, however...

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C

--==_Exmh_-1323976036P

--==_Exmh_-1323976036P--