Subject: Re: indigo2 video goes out on boot
To: Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/11/2002 16:08:05
In message <20020911034218.GA662@yzero>, you write:

-> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:31:31AM -0400, Rafal Boni wrote:
-> > Please report to the list if you have issues with kernels found there..
->
-> i tried a bunch of kernels, of all of them (except the old .ip22) gave me
-> this:
->
-> Text start 0x69000, size 0x2d4dac doesn't fit in a FreeMemory area

Hmm, this sounds like you're loading the O2 kernels rather than the INDY
kernels, as the text start of the INDY kernels should be 0x80069000, not
0x69000.  You want the _INDY versions of whatever kernels you tried.

-> actually, i also got an old TEAL kernel to boot, looking for an nfs server.
-> the netbsd-INSTALL kernels contain a rootfs image with sysinst, right?

Old TEAL kernels are definitely *not* what you want 8-)

The netbsd-INSTALL (and the netbsd-INDY_INSTALL) kernels do contain a ramdisk
with a FS populated with install tools, along with sysinst, correct.

[...]
-> netbsd doesn't take over the machine? i thought arcs was just like srm on
-> alpha. just for booting.

We have no drivers for the graphics cards, so we still use the PROM to do
input/output on the console when running on the video (vs. serial) console.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill