Subject: Re: X for Indigo2 (Was: Re: post installation steps fail)
To: Andreas Rother <a.rother@gmx.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/04/2002 16:29:09
--==_Exmh_-381832836P

In message <20020904195539.GA16769@hobbes.rother.dyndns.org>, you write:

-> Rafal Boni wrote:
-> >
-> > Thanks, I'm glad it worked for you!  I'm still not sure of the status of
-> > X for sgimips (it should be shared with the other BE mips platforms),
-> > but I'm glad as much as you tested works for you.
->
-> Is there any chance to run X at all? My latest information was that the
-> XZ graphic card is not supported by XFree 4.2.

Unfortunately, there's a bunch of work to do before X will even consider
running, like mouse and keyboard drivers (can you tell how I use most of
my sgi boxes? 8-).

As for XZ cards, I'm not 100% sure... I thought some work had been done
to allow the Newport driver to run on the low-end graphics cards in the
Indigo2's, but I think that was for the XL cards, not XZ... You can look
at http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/linux-mips/xfree86/ for the latest
info on the Newport (and other SGI-related) drivers for XFree... While
the site is Linux-specific, most of the code shouldn't be very hard to
port to NetBSD once it's written 8-)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C

--==_Exmh_-381832836P

--==_Exmh_-381832836P--