Subject: post installation steps fail
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Rother <a.rother@gmx.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/22/2002 00:33:42
--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

Hello list,

I've finally managed to install the latest snapshot from ftp.mrynet.com
on my Indigo2. The only issue was a segfault during the installation of
the man.tgz. But without that package the installation succeeds.

I'm following the install manual INDY.INSTALLATION.20020502.txt quite
close and every step (from netbooting to the completion of the
installation) works as far I can tell.=20

Now I fail at "POST INSTALLATION STEPS -- BOOTING NETBSD". I can't get
my Indigo2 to boot. This is output from the PROM:

---8<---
>> hinv                                                                    =
    =20
                   System: IP22                                            =
    =20
                Processor: 250 Mhz R4400, with FPU                         =
    =20
     Primary I-cache size: 16 Kbytes                                       =
    =20
     Primary D-cache size: 16 Kbytes                                       =
    =20
     Secondary cache size: 2048 Kbytes                                     =
    =20
              Memory size: 128 Mbytes                                      =
    =20
                 Graphics: GR3-Elan                                        =
    =20
                SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(3)                                  =
    =20
                    Audio: Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision
1.1.0     =20
>> printenv                                                                =
    =20
AutoLoad=3DYes                                                             =
      =20
TimeZone=3DPST8PDT                                                         =
      =20
console=3Dg                                                                =
      =20
diskless=3D0                                                               =
      =20
keybd=3DDE                                                                 =
      =20
dbaud=3D9600                                                               =
      =20
volume=3D80                                                                =
      =20
sgilogo=3Dy                                                                =
      =20
autopower=3Dy                                                              =
      =20
netaddr=3D192.168.2.253                                                    =
      =20
eaddr=3D08:00:69:08:24:72                                                  =
      =20
cpufreq=3D250                                                              =
      =20
SystemPartition=3Dscsi(0)disk(3)rdisk(0)partition(8)                       =
      =20
OSLoadPartition=3Dscsi(0)disk(3)rdisk(0)partition(0)                       =
      =20
NoAutoLoad=3DCONSOLE OPEN FAILED.                                          =
      =20
ConsoleOut=3Dserial(0)                                                     =
      =20
ConsoleIn=3Dserial(0)                                                      =
      =20
OSLoadFilename=3Dnetbsd                                                    =
      =20
OSLoader=3Dboot.elf                                                        =
      =20
>> boot                                                                    =
    =20
Unable to load scsi(0)disk(3)rdisk(0)partition(8)/boot.elf: no such file or=
 directory
---8<---

When I boot an install-kernel, escape to shell and chroot to the
rootdisk, I can see both files /netbsd and /netbsd.ecoff but neither /boot
nor /boot.elf. Where do I find those boot* files? And how do I copy them
to the "boot-sector"? What else have I to enable to boot netbsd?

Thanks in advance.

Mit freundlichem Gru=DF / With kind regards

Andreas Rother
--=20
Key fingerprint =3D 8E0F 9B2F 964D 0950 3423  3A6B 2B55 354F 3365 7592

"Lache nie =FCber Drachen, solange sie lebendig sind." - J.R.R Tolkien

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--