Subject: Re: post installation steps fail
To: Andreas Rother <a.rother@gmx.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/21/2002 22:21:37
In message <20020821223342.GA23510@hobbes.rother.dyndns.org>, you write:

-> I've finally managed to install the latest snapshot from ftp.mrynet.com
-> on my Indigo2. The only issue was a segfault during the installation of
-> the man.tgz. But without that package the installation succeeds.

Not to put down Scott's fine work, but you should probably try the 1.6_RC1
snapshot from releng.netbsd.org instead; that is what will (hopefully soon)
become the official 1.6 release of NetBSD/sgimips.  Actually, this is more
of a credit to Scott than a putdown, since much of the to-be 1.6 install is
based on work he started and unleashed on the world in his mrynet builds.

The latest official 1.6_RC build is at:
	ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200208190000/sgimips/

There are also release/install notes there in text, html, postscript, etc.
formats.

That said:

-> I'm following the install manual INDY.INSTALLATION.20020502.txt quite
-> close and every step (from netbooting to the completion of the
-> installation) works as far I can tell.=20
->
-> Now I fail at "POST INSTALLATION STEPS -- BOOTING NETBSD". I can't get
-> my Indigo2 to boot. This is output from the PROM:
->

[...]
-> OSLoader=/boot.elf
-> >> boot
-> Unable to load scsi(0)disk(3)rdisk(0)partition(8)/boot.elf: no such file or
->  directory
-> ---8<---

You should be able to do an `ls' from the PROM to see the files in the
volume header (which is where the boot program is searched for); it may
be that there is a `boot' instead of a `boot.elf', in which case you
should update the OSLoader to be `boot' rather than the non-existant
`boot.elf'.

If not, you'll need to use the `sgivol' command (which should be in
/usr/mdec along with the `boot' and `boot.elf' files on either the
install media or on your hard-disk), to install either the `boot'
(for systems that cannot load ELF format binaries) or `boot.elf'
(for systems which understand ELF-format binaries) binaries into
the volume header.

My sgi machines are unfortunately packed up and I don't remember the
exact format of the sgivol command, but you should be able to figure
it out from the usage message.. You want the "copy from unix-fs to
volume header" mode.

Let me know if that helps (and how the 1.6_RC install goes should you
have a go at that),
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill