Subject: Re: Indigo 2
To: Matteo SISA <matteo.sisa@unimi.it>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/29/2002 10:14:46
In message <3CF4D6B7.7070402@unimi.it>, you write:

-> koven@offramp.org wrote:
->
-> > To find out what kind of CPU, graphics card, and how much ram you have
-> > (...) type in the command "hinv"
->
->
-> Ok, thanks! So it's a R4400 @ 200MHz, with 128 MB RAM running Irix 5.3:
-> but what about X on NetBSD?

There is no X support; I thought (but am not sure) that the "base" graphics
(XL?) was similar enough to the Indy Newport graphics that it could use the
Newport X server in XF 4.x, but I may be wrong.

-> I read on http://oss.sgi.com/mips/i2-howto.html that at present Linux
-> can't use the monitor at all, has the NetBDS developement gone further
-> yet?

You can use the PROM console on the monitor, but that's an annoying enough
execise that I wouldn't suggest it (the PROM console interprets a bit too
many keys with the result that things like control-c or control-d cause
you to pop out to the PROM with no way of returning to the kernel AFAIK).
I should actually look into seeing if that can be fixed (since even SGI's
diag tools/booters/etc. don't seem to have that problem), but don't hold
your breath 8-)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill