Subject: Re: Supported Machines?
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/24/2002 18:43:34
--==_Exmh_-1206043714P

In message <200205242217.SAA22786@grex.cyberspace.org>, you write:

->   RB> There's O2 support, but it's bit-rotted; after the 1.6 release I
->     > plan on spending some time folding in patches people have sent
->     > me and/or making more stuff work on the O2, but right now the O2
->     > support is in pretty rough shape.
->
-> I read in the news section that there was a problem with O2.  How much
-> is known about the nature of the problem?  (out of academic interest,
-> since I'm not fortunate enough to have any laying around ;-)

As I mentioned above, the problem is mostly "bit rot" as the code has
not been maintained in a while (IIRC, it was written on a box to which
the author only had remote console access and the ability to ask the
owners to reboot it 8-), and code around it has evolved.  Additionally,
due to the lack of documentation of the machine, slight changes in
the code often have unexpected/undesireable properties... Also, due
to the lack of documentation, things changing in the supporting code
have at times caused the O2 code to no longer work.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C

--==_Exmh_-1206043714P

--==_Exmh_-1206043714P--