Subject: Re: my 20020502 snapshot fails
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
From: Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor <staylor@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/23/2002 00:43:32
> In message <200205230453.g4N4rZV7026866@mrynet.com>, you write:
>
> -> I just discovered that the install kernel that is in my snapshot
> -> on ftp.mrynet.com in /pub/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/INDY/snapshot-20020502
> -> is broken on some platforms.  It drops into the debugger with a
> -> duplicate inode panic when starting to label the disk.
> ->
> -> It turns out the ram filesystem image was down to about 300k.
> -> This was apparently the cause for the panic.  I've rebuilt the
> -> install kernel as 4mb instead of 3mb and put the new copies
> -> into the distribution tree.
>
> Hmm, which image needs to be resized?  The ramdisk?  Let me know and
> I'll tweak it in the CVS tree.
>
> BTW, it seems wierd (to me) that running out of room on the ramdisk
> would cause the disklabel to fail, though I guess if it's at label
> time, it has to be on the ramdisk fs.

Rafal,

It wasn't the disklabel failing.  It was a dupe inode being detected
in the ramdisk root itself.  I can't debug it since I can't get to
the situation and check the disk itself (i.e. df, ls, etc, to see
what's up).  I'm not sure if the install process is filling up that
remaining 300k or what.

The items to tweak are:

	RAMDISK: kernel conf: change 6144 to 8192 for the md size.
	distrib/sgimips/ramdisk/Makefile: Change CSIZE to 8192
	change distrib/sgimips/ramdisk/disktab.ramdisk
		to read as follows:

install-ramdisk:4MB Installation Ramdisk:\
        :ty=simulated:se#512:nt#4:ns#16:nc#128:\
        :ta=4.2BSD:\
        :pa#8192:oa#0:ba#4096:fa#512:\
        :pb#0:ob#0:\
        :pc#8192:oc#0: