Subject: Re: "panic: ffs_alloc: dup alloc" on Indigo2
To: Bernhard R. Erdmann <be@berdmann.de>
From: Wayne Knowles <wdk@netbsd.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/16/2002 23:55:42
On Wed, 15 May 2002, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> I was seeing these frequently when I was debugging a disk driver,
> which did incorrect DMA. Perhaps your problem might be problem with
> a disk driver as well?

Me too (when developing the sgimips disk driver!)  However, these issues
were fully resolved before the driver was committed last year.

The most likely cause may be in the cache configuration - historically L1/L2 cache
differences between various models & CPU's have caused problems.   Special
cache flushes are needed to ensure physical memory is kept consistent during a
DMA operation.

You may need to try a kernel with the CACHE disabled to see if it changes
the behavour.

If you can post the dmesg output here it may prove useful.

--
Wayne Knowles			NetBSD/mipsco port maintainer
wdk@netbsd.org			http://www.netbsd.org