Subject: Re: Kernel compile trouble
To: Robert Boehne <rboehne@attbi.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/02/2002 13:56:53
In message <3CD132EE.5A79C7E3@attbi.nospam.com>, you write:

-> I downloaded the latest config file GENERIC from mrynet,
-> got the latest CVS kernel sources, and applied the patch
-> to disable the L2 cache for my R5k.  I rebuilt the
-> kernel but it panics when I boot from the drive:

This looks like one of two things:
	(1) Hardware trouble, or
	(2) Bad bootloader/kernel installation -- maybe the on-disk versions
	    got corrupted somehow?

Personally, as you're getting panics from the PROM, I'd blame hardware...
Th point at which you get these panics is before the kernel is even
loaded, so I doubt rebuilding it will help (unless somehow there is
a kernel size issue that causes the bootloader to fall over, but again,
this is grasping at straws).

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill