Subject: Re: building a netbootable kernel
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/15/2002 00:07:42
In message <20020313102519.GA13859@antioche.lip6.fr>, you write:

-> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 06:44:52PM -0500, Rafal Boni wrote:
-> > If you look in the early archives of port-sgimips, I mailed around sources
-> > to a modified elf2ecoff which seems to DTRT; I don't have the sources to
-> > the in-tree elf2ecoff in front of me, but certainly an SGI won't boot LE
-> > kernels (even if the prom tells you it must be one of MIPSEL or MIPSEB,
-> > I belive it really *does* need to be MIPSEB).
->
-> yea, this patch to elf2ecoff is enouth for me to get a bootable
-> kernel:
[...snip...]

-> should I try to get elf2ecoff in a state where it works for both sgimips and
-> pmax (use the same byte order as in the ELF header), or is elf2ecoff
-> already dead, although objcopy isn't a working remplacement yet ?

It would probably be nice to have this ability in elf2ecoff; I still use
the linux-mutated one I found ages ago, though I haven't actually turned
on the one SGI box that needs ECOFF kernels in a goodly while (and when
I power it up, it's generally to gawk at IRIX stuff as that's the only
machine I have with IRIX headers/tools/etc. on it).

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill