Subject: Re: building a netbootable kernel
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/12/2002 18:44:52
--==_Exmh_-200575152P

In message <20020312201212.GA513@antioche.eu.org>, you write:

-> I tried elf2ecoff, but the SGI refuses to load it:
-> >> boot -f bootp():netbsd.sgimips
-> Obtaining netbsd.sgimips from server juliard.antioche.eu.org
->
-> Cannot load bootp():netbsd.sgimips.
-> Illegal f_magic number 0x162, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC.
-> Unable to load bootp():netbsd.sgimips: execute format error
->
-> The difference between the bootable and non-bootable one is:
-> netbsd.ip22:    MIPSEB COFF executable (impure) not stripped - version 0.0
-> netbsd.sgimips: MIPSEL COFF executable (impure) not stripped - version 10.2

If you look in the early archives of port-sgimips, I mailed around sources
to a modified elf2ecoff which seems to DTRT; I don't have the sources to
the in-tree elf2ecoff in front of me, but certainly an SGI won't boot LE
kernels (even if the prom tells you it must be one of MIPSEL or MIPSEB,
I belive it really *does* need to be MIPSEB).

Actually, I just looked at elf2ecoff, and it does unconditionally make LE
COFF files, so that's at least part of your problem.

-> Or maybe can someone send me an ecoff kernel which supports SCSI on the
-> indy?

If you're not in a hurry, I can probably make you one at some point
tonight and either mail it to you or put it up somewhere were you can
get to it.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
   Need to get a hold of me?  http://http.eiab.edial.com/800.edial/rafal

--==_Exmh_-200575152P

--==_Exmh_-200575152P--