Subject: Re: snapshot-20020209 hangs
To: Robert Boehne <rboehne@kwom.com>
From: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/08/2002 18:37:39
Hi Robert.

I just completed an install with the 20020209 snapshot.  No problem as you
reported.  The machine I installed to was identical in memory size and
CPU type (R5000) with the exception of it being a 150mhz processor.

I did see one bit of a problem when I installed, though... When selecting
the sets to be installed, the selection list does not match the "selected"
list.  I would recommend not toggling any selections and just using the
defaults (just press 'x' and then ENTER).

As for determining if you can complete the install, the following should
be verified:

1.	Is there a /netbsd kernel installed?  Check this as follows, if you
	can CTRL-C out of the install program:
	(If you can't CTRL-C out, the machine is hung.  Don't know why
	 this might happen)
	Get to a '#' prompt (exit install or CTRL-C)...
	# mount
	Check to see if the drive you installed to is mounted.  If it isn't,
	type:
	# mount /dev/sd?a /mnt    (sd? is the drive to which you installed)
	# ls -l /mnt/netbsd
	If it isn't there, then the install failed miserably, or you're
	mounting the wrong drive.
2.	Check for the boot program/block on the drive:
	# /usr/mdec/sgivol sd?
	You should see output similar to:

	# /usr/mdec/sgivol sd0
	disklabel shows 8888685 sectors
	checksum:  00000000
	root part: 0
	swap part: 1
	bootfile:  /netbsd

	Volume header files:
	boot     offset    2 blocks, length    53248 bytes (104 blocks)
	boot.elf offset  106 blocks, length    50304 bytes (99 blocks)

	SGI partitions:
 	0:a blocks   567296 first     2048 type  4 (BSD4.2)
 	1:b blocks   526336 first   569344 type  3 (Raw)
 	3:d blocks     2048 first        0 type  4 (BSD4.2)
 	4:e blocks  7790957 first  1095680 type  4 (BSD4.2)
 	8:i blocks     2064 first        0 type  0 (Volume Header)
	10:k blocks  8888685 first        0 type  6 (Volume)

	The "Volume header files:" should be identical.  If it isn't, then
	the installation of the boot programs in the Volume Header part of
	the disk failed.  This is also the case if you don't get proper
	sgivol output at all.

If the above two look proper, then the disk should boot.

I would be interested in finding out what steps you took for your
install... I.e. what actions you took when selecting the sets to install,
and what your disk layout selection was.

I would still recommend installing the 20011218 finally if all else fails.

-scott