Subject: Re: snapshot-20020209 hangs
To: Robert Boehne <rboehne@kwom.com>
From: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/06/2002 23:11:16
> Hello,
>
> I'm getting through the install all the way until the program says (paraphrasing):
>
> "all distribution files have sucessfully been installed"
>   Press enter to continue...

What installation method are you using?  Netboot?  CD? or an NFS type?

> At this point, nothing happens, the machine is alive, minicom
> reports the serial console as being online, but the only way
> I could find to get out of this screen is to press the reset buttons
> on the indy.  After rebooting, I cannot boot the kernel, if it is
> even installed.

Could you paste the actual messages reported?  This would help answer
your inquiry a bit more directly.  Perhaps for some reason the
wrong kernel is being selected, or no kernel is being selected at
installation time at all.

> So my first question is, is this the expected behavior?
> Am I supposed to do somthing else at this point that I just haven't
> found the explanation for?

Nope, it's not expected behaviour.  What type of machine are you
installing on?  INDY R4400?  R5000?  If this is an R5000 machine,
it might be hitting a known hang problem with that CPU.

You might also try installing the previous snapshot dated 20011222.
The 20020209 snapshot was built during a particularly difficult
time with the source tree, and indeed could have some problems
with the sysinst program which performs the installation.

-scott