Subject: Re: need advice
To: None <vlada@openbsd.cz>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/06/2002 16:46:14
--==_Exmh_-466603036P

In message <20020306222924.A8672@openbsd.cz>, you write:

-> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 09:58:41PM +0100, Basalt@arakhis wrote:
-> > hello,
-> >
-> > i am interest in buying a indigo2 to put NetBSD on it.
-> > i have take a look at ebay and found one indigo2 Extreme Graphics, R4400,
-> 150mhz. 128mb ram, 4gb HD
-> >

If you want an SGI, I'd suggest a fast Indy/Challenge S or a faster I2/
Challenge M with lower-end graphics, since graphics console/X isn't likely
to be supported anytime soon.  Get a faster processor/more memory instead
of buying a box with high-end graphics (the really high-end Indigo2's
still seem to be pretty pricy, even on eBay).

-> I don't think it is wise to use sgi as a firewall.
-> sgimips port is not stable enough to be usable as a firewall and second
-> ethernet adapter is kind of rare. Not counting price/performace.

On R4k processors, the port runs OK, but I still wouldn't use it for any
serious "service" applications.   R4600/R5k boxes still have issues.

-> > i there any advice or comments before i think about buying it ?
-> > (i have never seen a sgi and know very few things about)

Heh, I didn't know much about the SGI's other than having used a bunch
in school before I started hacking on the port.  If you really want an
SGI box, I suggest you go look at IndyTech or one of the other SGI
hobbyist sites on the web and watch eBay for a while to get sensible
price ranges.

-> If you want to do some serious experimenting, I'd suggest to throw money
-> into O2.

Unfortunately, the O2 support has bit-rotted.  Chris Sekiya (see the list
archives) has done some work to get it back to somewhat-working, but the
O2 support is far behind the Indy/Indigo2 support.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
   Need to get a hold of me?  http://http.eiab.edial.com/800.edial/rafal

--==_Exmh_-466603036P

--==_Exmh_-466603036P--