Subject: Re: PThreads/MySQL
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Barron <sb125499@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/14/2002 22:24:48
On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 06:06:21PM -0500, Ethan wrote:

> > IRIX would be a better solution for something you're going to put into
> > production at this point IMO.  The sgimips port is coming along quite
> > well, but I still don't think it's to the point where you want to rely
> > on it for your database.  Keep in mind that it's not just a matter of
> > getting some IRIX discs.  IRIX is not known for its security,
>
> It's track record is better than alot of other OSes.
>
> > so you'll
> > probably want to make sure this database machine is behind a firewall.
>
> Shouldn't all web server database servers be on an internal network not
> reachable from the outside?
>
> > Another option is to look at using a different NetBSD architecture which
> > already supports pthreads.  Of course, you'd have to acquire different
> > hardware in that case (which in some ways is easier/cheaper than
> > acquiriing IRIX media).
>
> eBay is your friend.
>
> SGI should just release the 6.5 ISOs.
>
> > Brandon D. Valentine

Thanks to everyone for the advice.  The databse will be behind a
firewall (of course).  I've got my eye on a few IRIX packages on ebay as
well.  In the mean time I got the stable version of Hughes mini SQL (aka
mSQL) to compile and run and its passing its regression tests so far.  I
should be able to port the app to use this (if there are no license
quarrels, I haven't used mSQL in a few years).

Thanks again,
-Scott