Subject: Re: PThreads/MySQL
To: Scott Barron <sb125499@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/14/2002 17:50:55
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Scott Barron wrote:

>I'm looking into this as a solution, but I don't currently have any IRIX
>disks.  Perhaps I can find some one ebay or something.  I was hoping for
>a netbsd solution but given what little free time I have you might be
>right in just going with IRIX.

IRIX would be a better solution for something you're going to put into
production at this point IMO.  The sgimips port is coming along quite
well, but I still don't think it's to the point where you want to rely
on it for your database.  Keep in mind that it's not just a matter of
getting some IRIX discs.  IRIX is not known for its security, so you'll
probably want to make sure this database machine is behind a firewall.
Another option is to look at using a different NetBSD architecture which
already supports pthreads.  Of course, you'd have to acquire different
hardware in that case (which in some ways is easier/cheaper than
acquiriing IRIX media).

Brandon D. Valentine
--
"Iam mens praetrepidans avet vagari."