Subject: Re: elf kernel on ecoff machines
To: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/21/2001 21:04:04
On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 07:59:59PM -0600, sgimips NetBSD list wrote:

 > Could anyone who has booted an elf kernel with the ecoff boot
 > block on an ecoff-requiring machine please let me know if this
 > works?  Alternately, could anyone with an ecoff-requiring PROM
 > machine try to boot an elf kernel with the ecoff boot block?
 >
 > I need this info for setting up the distributions.

You actually need to objcopy to an ECOFF image, and boot that.  The
correct thing is to objcopy the bootloader to an ECOFF image, and
use the bootloader to load the ELF kernel.

But, binutils/libbfd doesn't generate the correct thing.  I have a hack
to libbfd that makes it generate the correct thing, but it's truly a hack,
and I'd much rather fix libbfd correctly.