Subject: Re: faq.list updated
To: Hendrik Scholz <hscholz@raisdorf.net>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/09/2001 01:07:43
Hendrik Scholz <hscholz@raisdorf.net> wrote:
> After some busy weeks I found time to update the sgimips faq.list.
> It is NOT ready to be published on the website but I would like to=20
> know if it's the right way to do it.

Speaking about the FAQ, maybe we can add a section about emulations?

Linux emulation mostly works. Unfortunately, it emulates a 2.0.36
kernel, and most interesting Linux/MIPS programs are linked against
libc-2.2.2 which seems to require a 2.2.x kernel. Managing a 2.2.x
kernel emulation would require implementing real time signals in NetBSD.
Hopefully some day someone will do it...

IRIX emulation is in progress. This is about running o32 binaries for
now. This is extremely experimental, but some simple programs already
work (hello world for instance). There is a lot of testing to do on this
project, help is welcome.

n32/n64 support could be added later, but I've got no clue about how to
implement it. I'm interested by documentation about n32.=20

I don't know what is Ultrix emulation status.

--=20
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
"L'achitecture x86 est impossible =E0 aimer." (John Hennessy)
manu@netbsd.org