Subject: Re: sgimips binary packaging and bootables
To: Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor <staylor@mrynet.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/24/2001 15:56:53
In message <200111242036.fAOKarI07419@mrynet.com>, you write:

-> >From what I recall from previous conversation on the list, it looks
-> like the ECOFF kernel I made might be horked nonetheless.  I recall
-> something about the endianness still being wrong after being generated.
-> I'll look into this right away.

How did you generate the ECOFF binary from the ELF?  The in-tree elf2ecoff
may have issues, and certainly can't be used in a cross-build environment.

-> > I did not do any setenv in the PROM, I just interrupted it, and issues
-> > the boot cdrom command from the monitor prompt. I assume that makes no
-> > difference? (I have a head on the sgi, no serial...)
->
-> This definately won't be successful...  Only serial consoles are supported
-> as the gfx boards haven't been coded for.

While there are no drivers for the cards in graphics mode as console, one
should be able to run ARCS console on graphics, and I've done so (if only
to test that it works/doesn't work) on occasion.  I think this was fixed a
few months ago in -current (so it does depend on having a relatively recent
tree).

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                  rafal@mediaone.net