Subject: Re: booting cdrom
To: Collin Scott <sierra@cs.umn.edu>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/15/2001 09:13:50
In message <Pine.GSO.4.31.0111142300180.14986-100000@exa.cs.umn.edu>, you write
:

-> Im fairly new at bootp() installs and Im getting the following error...
-> Cannot load bootp():/tftpboot/netbsd.ram
-> Illegal f_magic number 0x7f45, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC.
-> Unable to load bootp():/tftpboot/netbsd.ram: execute format error
-> Any body able to help on this...
-> oh this is a challange M (simmilar to the s)

This means that your Challenge M (which is actually basically an Indigo2
the same way the S is basically an Indy) has an old PROM and doesn't
understand ELF kernels.  While my Challenge S (and maybe Indy too, though
I don't recall) boots ELF kernels just fine, my Indigo2 needs an ECOFF
kernel.

Chalk it up to PROM limitations,
--rafal

----