Subject: Re: Indy died between boots.
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
From: None <xs@nitric.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/05/2001 17:38:53
on Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 03:59:56PM +0100, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 04:03:06PM +0000, xs@nitric.net wrote:
> > Whenever I switch on the box now, the light on the front goes red, and stays
> > that way. Nothing is sent out the serial port, or over the network. There is
>
> > Any ideas? This is quite concerning. I'm a bit lost as to what to do.
>
> Try shorting the NVRAM reset jumper (located about in the middle
> of the motherboard, if I recall correctly).

There was one jumper on the motherboard (just by the CPU daughter board),
and it was already shorted. Thanks though.

The box is about 8 years old, and it doesn't look like the DS1386 chip
has ever been replaced.
http://www.pimpworks.org/sgi/dallas.html has some of info about the chip.
Step 6 is what arouses my suspicions. Maybe the battery died during boot?

(incidently, http://www.pimpworks.org/sgi/ has many of the SGI owner guides)

Thanks for your help.