Subject: Re: Boot success (almost)
To: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/25/2001 14:56:04
In message <20010925214650.A9639@cs.hut.fi>, you write:

-> On Tue Sep 25 2001 at 15:18:22 +0200, Hendrik Scholz wrote:
-> > P.S. Is it already possible to boot from the disk directly ?
->
-> Not as far as I know.
->
-> .. or, well, of course if you're willing to use IRIX to put the NetBSD
-> kernel on a partition the bootprom can read, it should be possible. The
-> linux dvhtool package may be of use also.
->
-> after all, it's not a NetBSD problem if ARCS can't read ffs ;P

You don't need IRIX, as dvhtool builds/works on NetBSD; this is how I shoved
my kernel into the volume header (read: magics ARCS-accessible storage if you
aren't too familiar with SGI-speak 8-).

Then you can boot from disk directly w/out the disklabel patches that Chris
sent here recently (you just won't be able to use swap).   If you apply the
patches, you'll also be able to use the IRIX swap patition as NetBSD swap.

Note, however, that an annoying fact of life is that the kernel is currently
too dumb to figure out the boot device, so you'll have to answer the root/
dump device prompt before init will start.

I *think* you may be able to work around this if you wire down the root &
dump paritions in your config, but my sinuses are blocking the flow of oxygen
to my brain, so I may be wrong here.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
    Need to get a hold of me?  http://800.edial.com/rafal.boni@eDial.com