Subject: Re: newbie question, serial console
To: julien maerten <julien@iside.net>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 07/02/2001 12:02:32
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, julien maerten wrote:

>First of all, thanx for your fast answer.

You're welcome.

>I'm sure that my cable is right, as I can use it to connect to the
>Irix's serial console.
>In my serial communication software, I use the settings 9600 / 8N1
>
>> sure you don't have a keyboard plugged into the Indy, or you have the
>> PROM setup to boot straight to serial console.
>>

>and how do you do that ? Here are some of my env prom vars :

>console=g
>diskless=0
>dbaud=9600
>ConsoleOut=video()
>ConsoleIn=keyboard()

If you unplug the keyboard and monitor it should automagically use the
serial console, otherwise you'll need to change the prom env vars to
reflect console=d rather than g for the serial port to be selected.  See
prom(1) under Irix for details.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.  Instead
of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit
their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one
of the facts that needs altering.
	- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"