Subject: Re: newbie question, serial console
To: julien maerten <julien@iside.net>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 07/02/2001 10:58:17
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, julien maerten wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm trying to boot netbsd.ip22 on my Indy (r4400 200mhz, 128M, 24bit
>newport), and all seems to run well (got the first boot messages in the
>PROM), except that I can't see anything on my serial console. In fact,
>It's a common peecee with a serial communication software, linked to the
>sgi serial port with a mac style serial cable.
>I'd like to know if there is particular settings for the serial
>communication, or a particular procedure to follow, as there is no
>documentation about this.
>I'm using netbsd.ip22 kernel from
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/ .

You'll want to make sure first of all that you're using a null modem
serial cable with RX and TX crossed and RTS and CTS crossed.  Then make
sure you don't have a keyboard plugged into the Indy, or you have the
PROM setup to boot straight to serial console.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.  Instead
of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit
their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one
of the facts that needs altering.
	- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"