Subject: Re: Indy serial port pinout/connector
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Marcus Herbert <rhoenie@spam-filter.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/08/2001 06:31:08
On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 03:32:21PM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> Can anyone point me at a pinout diagram for the Indy serial ports, and
> where I might be able to obtain connectors (preferably ones I could attach
> to an RJ45 cable)?

On an IRIX system just type in: man serial.

-----------------------------<from serial manpage>----------------------------

     The DIN-8 serial port connectors on the Indigo, Indy, Indigo2, Challenge
     S, Challenge M, Power Challenge M, and the MENET 4-Enet, 6-serial board
     (XT-FE-4TX-6A) have the following pin assignments.

                                     ---------
                                    / 8  7  6 \
                                   (  5  4  3  )
                                    \  2   1  /
                                     ---------

                     _4D_Compatible_Pin_Assignments_(RS-232)__
                      Pin   | Name    | Description
                     _______|_________|_______________________
                       1    | DTR     | Data Terminal Ready
                       2    | CTS     | Clear To Send
                       3    | TD      | Transmit Data
                       4    | SG      | Signal Ground
                       5    | RD      | Receive Data
                       6      RTS       Request To Send
                       7    | DCD     | Data Carrier Detect
                       8    | SG      | Signal Ground

                 Macintosh SE Compatible Pin Assignments (RS-422)
                 Pin__|_Name__|_Description_______________________
                  1   | HSKo  | Output Handshake
                  2   | HSKi  | Input Handshake Or External Clock
                  3   | TxD-  | Transmit Data -
                  4   | GND   | Signal Ground
                  5   | RxD-  | Receive Data -
                  6   | TxD+  | Transmit Data +
                  7   | GPi   | General Purpose Input
                  8   | RxD+  | Receive Data +

Under IRIX you can use both assignments - you choose it by the devicename
you are talking to.

--
      PGP2 Key-ID: 666/36540865 1997/06/09 <rhoenie@spam-filter.de>
       GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30 <rhoenie@spam-filter.de>