Subject: Re: NetBSD on Indigo R3000???
To: Gerald Heinig <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
From: mjpento <mjpento@mediaone.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/06/2001 12:09:17
>mjpento wrote:
>>
>>  Hello folks,
>>
>>          I own 2 Iris Indigo R3000 systems. I was wondering if there
>>  is an effort to port NetBSD to this CPU. Although I think that Irix
>>  is an excellent version of Unix, I would really enjoy running NetBSD
>>  on these machines if that were possible. Does anyone have any
>>  information or links to a group or mailing list that is working to
>>  port this os to the R3000 Indigo?
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>  Mike
>
>Hi Mike,
>
>There is an effort to port NetBSD to the Indigo R4000, but
>unfortunately not the R3000. Needless to say, the R4000 kernel won't
>run on your 3000 machine.
>If you're interested in porting it yourself, that'd be pretty cool,
>but I warn you that you'll be needing info from SGI that won't be
>easy to obtain.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Gerald

Hi Gerald,

I would love to become involved in the project to port to the R3000,
I know quite a few folks like myself who have R3000 Indigos that
would have great use for NetBSD. Unfortunately, I think you are
correct about SGI. I have done quite a bit of research on the web
about this issue, unfortunately, there is very little information
about the Indigo, I was mostly able to find information about the
Indy port. Hmmm .... I wonder what my best approach would be if I
called SGI ???

Me: "Hi, my name is Mike, you don't know me, but, I would like you to
share all of your secrets about the hardware architecture of the
R3000 Indigo so that I can try and make a port of NetBSD for it. So,
should I expect to see that information in my mail in the next few
days?"

SGI: "Click!" ... dial tone ...

:-)

I don't know,  this might be more difficult than I had originally thought.

Thanks,
Mike