Subject: Re: Info on Indy/Indigo2 caches?
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
From: Jeffrey M. Smith <jeffs@atheros.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 04/26/2001 11:28:27
Rafal Boni wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any info on how one is supposed to drive the L2
> cache on an Indy/Indigo2?  I've heard Soren say that the L2 cache on these
> boxes is somehow special and needs to be driven somewhat differently than
> one would expect to drive it (well, I would exect it to be driven via the
> 'cache op_SD' instructions, maybe others have other expectations 8-).
>
> Or is this all only true for R4600 and R5000 parts?  (I've got a R4400SC).

I think this is the only the QED (R4600 and R5000) parts.  The R4400SC
should act a lot like the pmax R4[04]00SC and use the cache ops defined
in the R4000 spec.

I don't remember exactly how the R4600 S cache works.  It was done on
the sysAD bus w/o any internal processor support.  The R5000 I think
added some signals to make this type of cache work with less glue logic.

> Yes, it's cluesless question day,

It's not like it's documented anywhere.

jeffs