Subject: Re: cross-building userland: hints?
To: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
From: Andrey Petrov <and@genesyslab.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 04/05/2001 14:02:37
On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 04:44:36PM -0400, Rafal Boni wrote:

> So I've managed to make my I2 get far enough that I want to try and get

That's great!

> at least a minimal userland so I can try an NFS boot.  However, as Soren
> pointed out a while ago, the pkgsrc cross-tools seem to not be very good
> at making a userland.
>
> My particular build builds all the libraries, but dies as soon as it
> tries to build a binary that uses the libraries with an (seemingly)
> infinite number of underfined symbols (shared libararies don't seem
> to build at all, but that's a "learn to crawl before you walk" thing).

I tried similar thing for sparc and from that experience I can tell
that you should always everywhere use -nostdinc -nostdlib and set
you pathes to where your DEST directory is. And I'd rather have
native tools, includes and libs unreachable at all during the cross
build. Also it could be wrong libgcc.a which should be rebuild with
netbsd's includes (I'm guessing here).

> Anyone out there done this before and have hints?  If not, I'll go
> and start digging in the toolchain.

Is there any reason not to try snapshot?

	Andrey