Subject: Re: Indigo2 POWER
To: Jeffrey M. Smith <jeffs@atheros.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/23/2001 10:38:03
On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Jeffrey M. Smith wrote:
> Johan Danielsson wrote:

> > We have an old Indigo2 R8000 here that we haven't figured out what to
> > do with. If anyone is interested in getting it working with NetBSD
> > (which probably will take a lot of effort, considering that both the
> > machine and the CPU is rather odd), I can probably arrange serial
> > console access to it.

Awesome.  We had one of these boxes at one of my employers a few years
back and I've not seen another one since.  It seems like these boxes were
kind of an anomaly given that the Indigo2 R10K systems followed not too
long after.

> This is a lot of work and NetBSD is a long way for supporting
> the R8000.  For starters there is no 32 bit kernel mode!
>
> I did the original IRIX port to this machine, and it was an
> amazing amount of work given a stable 32 bit Indigo2 port.
>
> Unfortunately we don't have a stable Indigo2 port for NetBSD yet.

Is there work in progress on one?  I've got access to an Indigo2 R10K, an
Indigo2 R4400, and one of the R4xx based Indy's--I have to check on the
exact processor specs for it.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
      Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny] m