Subject: Re: SGI MIPS FAQ
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Joel Kershner <jkershner@students.jccc.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 02/28/2001 18:53:31
Something I have noticed on the port web page is that the FAQ only
covers
some technical issues.  I was wondering if we could address some other
basic issues on the FAQ such as:

o What SGI equipment is booting under the SGI MIPS kernel
  (e.g. O2, is booting.. INDIGO R3k is not...etc)
o What peripherals are supported (NIC cards modems ...etc)
o Alternatives for un supported machines

I'm sure this stuff is buried in the changelogs somewhere, but that
does not
help a lay user researching whether NetBSD SGIMIPS as a viable
alternative ...or not.

From what I have gathered so far that the O2 platform is the furthest
along in development.  The older Indigo's are in a broken state of
booting with many many error messages.

The O2 has issues with its Internal NIC, requiring a generic PCI
network in order to have net access.

Whatever is booting requires the kernel to be net-booted.

And the only stable OS available for SGI MIPS machines is IRIX, which
has some truly bizarre licensing schemes, which make getting a hold of
IRIX for a used machine an arduous task

-=- Joel -=-