Subject: Re: NetBSD-sgimips on Personal Iris 4D?
To: Michael Graziano <mikeg@hoflink.com>
From: Gerald Heinig <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 02/27/2001 13:16:06
Michael Graziano wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has had any luck running the SGI port on older machines, specifically the Personal Iris (4D) series.  We have a bunch of these at my school with Irix 5.3, but no install media or root passwords to get into them (kinda makes them useless to us), and even with the sgi port incomplete it's better than nothing.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> /~mikeg

It's a good bet they use SCSI disks, so take the boot disk out, hang it onto a PC SCSI bus and read out the disk with dd, search for the passwd entry and delete the root password.
That's what I did to get into an old HP700 box from college.

You can buy Irix 5.3 from Ebay. There's a guy selling SGI software.

About the machines: I have a feeling the _really_ old machines were 68000-based (corrections, anyone? It's just a wild hunch). If that's the case, you're way off base here.

I don't think we'll have anything bootable by your machines for a long time, unless I'm much mistaken.

Cheers,

Gerald