Subject: Re: Info for IP20 port
To: Gerald Heinig <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/23/2000 15:19:25
On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 12:40:56AM +0100, Gerald Heinig wrote:
> I've just subscribed to this list and I've seen there are a few
> people like me who are interested in an Indigo R4000
> port.
> I'd like to have a stab at this and see how far I get. I've had
> a look at the sources and it seems like the locore.S
> files are for generic MIPS machines. Am I correct in assuming
> this is where the system starts?

Yep, though early startup is unlikely to need attention
for IP20 bringup..

> Also, how do I find out stuff about the firmware? What type of

ARCS. See arch/arc, arch/sgimips and
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/download/respec/riscspec.zip .

> firmware is used and how do I access the calls? Is there
> any info around on the web about these older SGI machines?

Not much of the sort that you need. The R4000 Indigo is
close enough to the IP22/IP24 hardware (for which reasonable
documentation is available) that a port is feasible, I think.

Look at the archive for this mailing list, the Linux kernel
and in particular Plan9, which has Indigo/R4K-specific code.

Indy documentation is available at
ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/doc/indy/ .

--
Soren