Subject: Re: New O2: netbsd does not like it
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Ken Wills <kenwills@tds.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/20/2000 08:22:10
* Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com> [000919 17:42]:
> Whn I initially netbooted over the kdb/screen, the kernel
> died with a pcierr.
>
> So I switched to the com port for the console, and now I get
>
>                     System: IP32
>                  Processor: 200 Mhz R5000, with FPU
>       Primary I-cache size: 32 Kbytes
>       Primary D-cache size: 32 Kbytes
>       Secondary cache size: 1024 Kbytes
>                Memory size: 128 Mbytes
>                   Graphics: CRM, Rev C
>
> NetBSD 1.5A (INDY) #142: Tue Jun 27 17:40:37 CEST 2000
>      soren@meow:/usr/home/soren/netbsd/src/sys/arch/sgimips/compile/INDY
> 128 MB memory, 78780 KB free, 6848 KB for ARCS, 39240 KB in 9810 buffers
> mainbus0 (root): SGI-IP32 [SGI, 6]
> cpu0 at mainbus0: MIPS R5000 CPU (0x2321) Rev. 2.1 with built-in FPU Rev. 1.0
> cpu0: L1 cache: 32KB/32B instruction, 32KB/32B data, two way set associative
> cpu0: L2 cache: 512KB/32B mixed, snooping
>
> and then about 10 seconds pass and I get thrown the diagnostic menu.

I was stumped by something similar for a while too. I was trying to find out why it would begin to boot (as yours
does) , then freeze, and reboot. After poking around in the sgimips code, I noticed that dbaud is set to 384800
(there is code to read dbaud here, but it's commented out AFAIR). My dbaud was set to 9600.
As soon as I changed dbaud in the O2 prom, it came up and has been happy ever since. (I've built kernels and
such on the thing since.)

I don't know if this is your problem of not, just thought I'd throw this out there for the archives.

Ken
--
Ken Wills
Webmaster TDSNET