Subject: R8k based Power Indigo2?
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/11/2000 12:36:02
A friend-of-a-friend has what he claims to be an R8000-based Power Indigo2
he's trying to get rid of... It seems like a nifty machine, and I'd like
another toy, but I am most interested in having a nifty NetBSD machine
than a R8k powered Irix box 8-), so the question is:

Can someone on the list with a clue comment on how hard it would be to
get R8k support from what is in the tree?  I've looked on SGI's site
and the docs there seem sparse (certainly much less documentation on
the R8k than there is on the R4k series), but maybe someone on the list
has better info.

Basically, what I'd like to know is:
	(1) Is a port to this hardware even feasible?  Are there enough
	    docs to do it?
	(2) The difficulty factor of (1) given the current sgimips code.
	(3) Whether anyone considers this useful, is thinking about it,
	    or is working on it.

Given my experience, I'm sure I wouldn't be the person to complete such
a port, but if I think there's a reasonable chance other people might be
interested in it, I'd pick the machine up and see if I could help out.

If nobody else is interested, and it's considered hard, I will probably
pass, although it does sound like a fun challenge (if only days had 48
hours! 8-).

(Yes, I know that this sounds a lot like "anyone want to port to my new
box", but it's not quite that bad, at least I hope...)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                               rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
    Need to get a hold of me?  http://800.eDial.com/rafal.boni@eDial.com