Subject: Re: Support for Indigo2
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/08/2000 19:52:01
On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Christian Robl wrote:

>> BTW, you're still running around with a teal Indigo2 with r4.4k and elan
>> graphics?  If you hunt around on the net you can find upgrade kits for
>> under $300 to upgrade that puppy to a purple Indigo2 w/ 195Mhz r10k +
>W..What?!! Wow! Where? I searched around and well only found that horrible
>expensive SGI offers. Can you tell me where to oder? Well I hope that this
>offers are available for germany too.

Well my boss and I bought the last upgrade kits our vendor had, for $250
each.  We found them on usenet in comp.sys.sgi.marketplace.  You should
do some more checking around in that newsgroup.  I would also recommend
looking for good deals @ workstation.net, mashek.com, mce.com, and
bbsolutions.com.  All of these sites have awesome deals.  In fact
they're all good places to locate development equipment for those who
want to work on NetBSD/sgimips porting.  Disclaimer: I don't work for or
profit by any of them.  There is also a really good source of SGI
technical information, specifications, and links available from:
http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/sgi.html

Hopefully some of this will help the porters locate hardware details.  I
know an awful lot about SGI hardware and I'd be glad to lend a hand in
terms of testing code and writing documentation about what models the
code supports, etc.  Soren, et. al., let me know what you need.

BTW, the guy who runs reputable.com is a very generous guy.  He has
given away SGI hardware to projects like irisindigo.com which seek to
support or promote old SGI hardware.  He might be interested in working
with NetBSD/sgimips if you approach him right.

>Thanks a lot for these tips!!

Bitte sehr, Herr Robl!  Ich mache was ich kann.  Viel Glueck mit deinen
Computer!  Ob Sie haben mehr Fragen, schrieben Sie mir!

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying