Subject: Re: Support for Indigo2
To: Christian Robl <christian@qdev.de>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/08/2000 10:57:06
On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Christian Robl wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm new to this list and I'd like to know if there will be support
>for Indigo2 XZ. It would be great to have a free OS on it running since
>I can't afford actual Irix-Versions.
>Following a hinv of my machine:

This list has been deathly silent for the last few weeks. I'm still
waiting for news of working code for my Indy.  However, since no one
else is likely to answer your inquiry, I'll at least give it a shot.
The current code in the tree supports r5k O2s w/ PCI busses & Adaptec
7880 SCSI controllers.  The EISA bus support for your Indigo2 is trivial
to add(we love you, newbus).  What is not easy to add however is support
for the WD33C93B SCSI contoller that's built in.  I think that's Soren's
main frustration with Indy support as well right now.  The ec0 ethernet
should be the same chip as on the O2s and so that should be supported.
If the code will support r4k processors you should
at least be able to netboot a kernel to play with, maybe even get an NFS
mounted root up and running if you're lucky.  However, I don't know that
anything besides IP32 r5k processors are supported at this point.

BTW, you're still running around with a teal Indigo2 with r4.4k and elan
graphics?  If you hunt around on the net you can find upgrade kits for
under $300 to upgrade that puppy to a purple Indigo2 w/ 195Mhz r10k +
Max Impact graphics.  As for getting ahold of IRIX, if you are
affiliated with a University you should be able to get the *substantial*
academic discount on SGI products.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying