Subject: Re: What shall we do with the drunken disklabel?
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
From: Dave Olson <olson@bengaltech.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 07/02/2000 19:04:05
Soren S. Jorvang wrote:
|  On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 11:33:29AM -0400, CaptnZilog@aol.com wrote:
|  > >> 0: root
|  > >> 1: swap
|  > >> 6: usr
|  > >> 7: volume body          (similar to the NetBSD/i386 'c' partition.)
|  > >> 8: volume header        (simple filesystem for boot loaders etc.)
|  > >> 10: whole disk          (normal RAW_PART equivalent.)
|  >
|  > Is there any reason why we couldn't have partition 10 *and* partition 2 both
|  > be the same parameters (ie. both be the RAW_PART)?  This way both sides of
|  > the fence would be happy...

Yes, that will work just fine.

|  That just leaves the question of what to do with the real on-disk
|  partition 2.

Nothing special.  After all, it's just another partition.

It's not a commonly used partition for irix systems anyway, except when
people are doing multiple volumes striped across multiple disks, and
need lots of partitions.

And if a disk with some other arrangement of partition two is moved
over to netbsd from irix, presumably it would be used as is, with
a possible boot time warning that it's non-standard for netbsd.

Dave Olson
Personal:  olson@bengaltech.com        Work:  olson@geocast.com
           http://www.bengaltech.com          http://www.geocast.com