Re: On DSM-G600 issues with WPA_SUPPLICANT, CDROM on USB port, ntfs module.

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 19:49:56 +0100
Charles Brown <obigiankenobi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
> scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <_NEC, DVD+-RW ND-6650A, 2.N0>
> cdrom removable not configured
>
> Ok, support for removables cd-rom is not configured (hope it will be
> in the next future),

We forgot to add it to the GENERIC configuration. Just add

cd*             at scsibus? target ? lun ?

and recompile your kernel. You should consider to make your own kernel
configuration anyway, to get rid of all the unused drivers. With 32MB
RAM every saved byte is valuable.

> but after a minute, also this message appears in console:
>
> dsm-g600# acardide0:0:0: lost interrupt
>         type: ata tc_bcount: 16384 tc_skip: 0
> acardide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x29
> wd0a: DMA error writing fsbn 138520576 of 138520576-138520607 (wd0 bn
> 138520639; cn 137421 tn 4 sn 19), retrying
> wd0: soft error (corrected)

Does it really have to do with your USB attachment? Is it reproducible?
Only with a CDROM drive?

> IRQ conflict?

Don't think so. As you see from the dmesg output, the USB and ATA drivers
use different IRQs:

ohci0: interrupting at irq 17
ohci1: interrupting at irq 17
ehci0: interrupting at irq 18
acardide0: using irq 20 for native-PCI interrupt

Maybe all interrupts have been blocked too long for some reason...

> after this, the hd unit seems to work well.

Yes, the driver can immediately recover from such a problem.

> 2) wpa_supplicant takes very long time in associating with wireless
> router: [...]
> ........ 15/30 minutes of retries
> [...]
> When connected, everything works fine, I obtain my ip address via dhcp
> and the connection is fast and reliable.
> Timeout problem during authentication?

Probably just a bad connection?

I was very disappointed about the G600's WLAN capabilities. Once I tried
to use it as an access point, but had to realize that the maximum range
is, depending on the client, limited to 2 - 4 meters... :(

> 3) Can't load /stand/sandpoint/5.99.64/modules/ntfs/ntfs.kmod:
>
> modload: Operation not permitted.

I have to admit that I have not much experience with the new kernel modules.

The error message sounds like an authorization problem. Probably you can
only load kernels in securelevel 0 (which usually means before entering
multi-user). Check "sysctl kern.securelevel".

--
Frank Wille