Re: floppyinstfs size

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 04:32:41PM -0600, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Repeat after me: "PPCboot will do it for you."
>                  "PPCboot will do it for you."
>                  "PPCboot will do it for you."

I do need to look at PPCboot again...  We, presumably, will need to
create an image that PPCboot will understand--unless it understands
straight gzipped ELF images, in which case, this whole part of the
discussion is moot...  ;-)

Unfortunately, I'd rather not assume that everyone's installed ppcboot.

> > Nothing at the moment.  I've done some hacks, which aren't in the tree
> > yet, to put a block translation layer on flash so that we can put a
> > slightly modified BSD fast filesystem (one that tells the device when
> > blocks no longer contain valid data) on flash.  That works pretty well,
> > but not as well as a real flash filesystem would.
>
> Compression?  (Isn't there some kind of 'stack the filesystem drivers'
> thing in NetBSD?)

No compression yet.  Yes, the filesystems are stacked (layered is the
more common term) in NetBSD, and if there were a compression piece, you
could presumably put that in there.  The "block translation layer" just
provides access to an array of blocks and you could put any filesystem
you want on it (cd9660, FAT, whatever--ffs is the one I've played with,
though),

-allen

--
 Allen Briggs                     briggs%wasabisystems.com@localhost