Re: Performance counters in 824x

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:52:30AM +0100, Andreas Oman wrote:
> As you might know, there are a quite impressive (at least, i think so :)
> set of performance counters available in the 824x-chip.

Yes.  There seem to be on all of the newer chips, too (newer than
603/604?).

> Though, i could write a more general patch for the sandpoint-tree.
> Anyone interested ?

Definitely.  I'm actually interested in this being done in a somewhat
general fashion as I'd like to see performance counters usable for
any processor that has them.  I'm actually doing some work with
them on the XScale at the moment, and there is some rudimentary support
for the x86 performance counters on the 586/686-class of Intel cpus.

Are you tracking the performance counters in the kernel only, or are
you tracking per-process?

-allen

--
 Allen Briggs                     briggs%wasabisystems.com@localhost