Re: Error messgae when netbooting - ex0: device timeout

On 02-Aug-2001 Allen Briggs wrote:
>> Until now I only tried ISA DMA. Will try a SCSI card on the PCI bus
>> later on....
>
> Cool.  I've used the PCI DMA with mine (mostly with the ns83815 and
> 3C900 network cards, but I've also attached a couple of SCSI adapters
> just to check them out).

Hmm.. no SCSI drive here, has to wait until tomorrow...

>> And another question:
>>  if I put a 3COM905B into the sandpoint, then the kernel panics on boots
>>  because the PHY (exphy/ukphy) on the ex does not return any media
>>  information.....
>
> That sounds like a bug in the driver.  What version of the kernel
> sources are you working with?  Do you know if the same code works
> for that card on another architecture?

Sources are -current as of two/three days.
The very same card works fine in my PC under netbsd-i386 (same source base).
I tried three 905B cards, two of them gave that panic, the third probed
ok, but is catatonic (even in my PC) when it comes to transmitting packets....

I may get hold of a Intel EtherExpress something and/or a 905C and try those
out....

As far as I could follow the panic, the problem is that the MII PHY on the card
does not give back the supported media correctly (register reads as 0x0000....)

Regards....
        Stephan

=  Tel.: +49-681-302-5571          = Universitaet des Saarlandes =
=  Fax.: +49-681-302-3065          = Postfach 15 11 50           =
=  Compiler Research Group         = 66041 Saarbruecken          =
=  FR 6.2 - Informatik             = GERMANY                     =