Subject: Re: Which Ethernet card is supoorted - DEC21144 or IBM82559?
To: None <port-sandpoint@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sandpoint
Date: 07/16/2001 12:55:13
Hi!

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 06:08:54PM +0900, B.G.Jung wrote:
> I'd like to install NetBSD to Sandpoint X3 - Altimus X3 (MPC7410).
> Which Ethernet card is supported, DEC21144 or IBM82559?

I'm not familiar with the DEC 21144.  Is that similar to (or one of)
the DEC "tulip" chips?  If so, then the "tlp" driver would probably
work.  I'm not familiar with the IBM 82559, but I have hear good reports
on the Intel 82559 (fxp driver) on other systems.  On the sandpoint,
specifically, I have used 3COM (3c900) and Netgear (FA311 -- ns83815-
based) cards (the ex (or ep) and sip drivers, respectively).

> And any other bootrom program is available than DINK32?

I believe that ppcboot is supposed to work on the sandpoint now
(http://ppcboot.sourceforge.net/, I think).  I haven't tried it
yet.

> And could anyone tell me the procedure of installing?
>
> I think the following steps are needed.
>
> 1) copy current version
> 2) cross compile (target=powerpc-eabi)
> 3) download image to sandpoint with JTAG emulator to memory

For a cross-compiler, I used the pkgsrc/cross/powerpc-netbsd package
running on NetBSD/x86 system.  I also used DINK32 and a serial download
instead of a JTAG, but that's because I didn't have a JTAG emulator to
work with.

Let me know how it goes for you!

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD dev. for _your_ Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SH3, Sparc, x86, etc...