Port-prep archive

Re: 43p: Install kernel boots, generic not

Hello,
The 7248 has integrated "IBM E15 graphics", the chip it uses is an S3 Vision864, although it seems to have only 8-Bit color, even though the chipset dataseheet states it could potentially support 16-Bit with 2MB of video memory. The section below describes it:

"The 43P Series has integrated IBM E15-type graphics capability on the motherboard. E15-type graphics is a low-cost, medium-performance, 256 color (8 bit), DRAM-based graphics for use as an entry graphics solution. The IBM E15-type graphics employs the 64-bit S3 Vision864 graphics accelerator and the 16-bit 135 MHz S3 SDAC. The IBM E15-type graphics comes standard with a 2MB frame buffer, providing up to 1280 x 1024 resolution."

I'm not sure what would happen if a non-IBM graphics card were to be used in the machine or if there would be any issue at all. My incomplete understanding is the IBM cards are well supported by AIX, but not so much outside of it.