Port-prep archive

Re: Xorg FYI

The datasheet for the Vison864 is here: http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/component/k2/item/351-s3-vision864 On page 1-1 there's a table that shows the different resolutions supported by the chip. The E15 has 2MB, so it looks like it could support all those resolutions, but that is currently not the case in actual use. The specs for the E15 are described under the header "IBM E15-type" on this page:
https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=dd&subtype=sm&htmlfid=897/ENUS7248-132
I'm not sure if the limiting factor is hardware or software, since this is beyond my knowledge/skill level.

As for that kernel option, it is probably missing because the dev, that did much of the work for this port, had no desire to use onboard video. It's mentioned on the port page that he only used RS-232 with these machines. This is also likely why the install CD-ROM uses the boot_com0 boot loader. I have to build my own ISO with custom kernels, so it's not that big of a deal for me, but if the majority of folks still using these machines want to use X, then yeah, it might make sense to add it.

-Tim