Subject: Re: Call for testing on Motorola PowerPC machines
To: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 07/17/2006 10:38:06
On 17-Jul-2006 Michael-John Turner wrote:
> Would the original Powerstack (the DeathStar model) also possibly support
> the image? I know it has OFW (and should be supported by NetBSD/ofppc,
> although I haven't yet tried that), but I'm not sure whether or not the
> PReP port should be able to run on it?

Umm..  NetBSD/prep does support the old powerstacks, and the old motorola
ultras.   (the E0 and E1 powerstack models).  I've never heard of an old
powerstack having OFW, but I guess one could exist.

The general rule is that the firmware determines if it runs ofppc or prep. If
it's PPCBUG, it will run under prep.  If it's OFW, it will have to be ofppc.
If it's DINK32, you're on your own.

So, if your powerstack really does have OFW, and no way to get to ppcbug, then
NetBSD/prep won't run on it.  Otherwise, AFAIK powerstack 1's and 0's are
allready fully supported by NetBSD/prep.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/