Subject: RE: installation on a 7249-860
To: None <t.sefzick@fz-juelich.de>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 05/31/2006 10:54:45
On 31-May-2006 t.sefzick@fz-juelich.de wrote:
> I also tried generic.fs too, but it has no console.
>
> Any ideas, how to proceed?

Hrmm.. There are a couple of possibilities here.. and I'm not sure which one
you've hit.  You may have a supported video card, but we aren't resetting it
properly, and the LCD never recognizes the mode as valid.  Another possibility
is that we need to issue some command to turn the LCD itself on, and we aren't
doing that.  Is the LCD powered up, just nothing on the screen?

A third possibility is that we don't support your card at all... yet..

I have a few suggestions of what to do next:

1) Send the dmesg of the kernel you currently have running on the machine to
the list.  That might help me get an initial idea of what is going on.

2) boot this kernel and send me or the list the output:
        http://www.garbled.net/tmp/prep-residual-boot.fs

I can't stress the importance of this one enough.  This machine is not
currently well supported, and if I'm going to have any prayer at all of fixing
it up, I need the full output from that kernel booting.  This is a serial
console image BTW.

3) I really don't reccomend intstalling 3.0 anymore.  I've made huge changes to
the prep port post-3.0, and one of the big ones was to simplify installation
alot.  If you install -current, you no longer have to follow that crazy
procedure, and in the future, you can upgrade the machine normally.  However,
it's very difficult to upgrade a machine that was installed via that procedure,
so you would be better off reinstalling.   Grab a snapshot from here, and
install it instead:
        ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/

I'm really excited about seeing the information for this machine.. as this is
one of the bizzare ones I've been hoping to see full data for.  I'd like to get
support for these really working.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/