Subject: installation on a 7249-860
To: None <port-prep@NetBSD.org>
From: None <t.sefzick@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 05/31/2006 18:12:09
After several attempts, I finally succeeded in installing
NetBSD 3.0 on an IBM RS/6000 860 notebook on an external
SCSI-disk.

Up to now, only the serial console works.

The installation steps were:
- copy sysinst_com0.fs to the SCSI-disk (using a NetBSD-PC):
  dd if=sysinst_com0.fs of=/dev/sd0d
  (the notebook has no floppy drive)
- boot the notebook from this disk (see
  http://www.tecnopolis.ca/aixtp/tpfirmware.html
  for information on how to change the boot device)
- proceeded like described in
  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-prep/2005/01/25/0002.html
  except for generic_com0.fs which I copied to the prep
  partition starting at sector 64 (there was a message saying
  that sector 0 is needed for BIOS, so i left it free)

The installation medium was a CD.
Due to timeout problems (the CD drive is rather slow and
during installation at some stage it was not accessible
anymore, so I had to start again several times), I first
installed only kernel, base, and etc packets, copied the
other packets to the SCSI-disk after reboot and continued
installation from there.

I also tried generic.fs too, but it has no console.

Any ideas, how to proceed?

Thomas Sefzick