Subject: Re: Unsupported RS6k's and ofppc
To: None <port-prep@NetBSD.org, port-ofppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 03/12/2006 20:42:18
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:15:51 -0700 (MST)
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net> wrote:

> > The 7043-150 is CHRP only. No residual data and CHRP memory map.
> You're positive no residual?
I have the manual for this machine. It clearly states that this machine
is "RPA" (RS/6000 Platform Architecture) and RPA is an IBM extension of
CHRP. (RS6000_B50__sg247046.pdf page 112, chaptrer 5.4.)

> I've seen a few CHRP IBM machines that
> still provided residual if you asked for it.
Residual data will not help. The machine has a different memory map,
i.e. the physical addresses where the PCI bus is mapped. This adresses
are global compile time constants in port-prep. (struct
powerpc_bus_space prep_.*_space_tag in arch/prep/prep/machdep.c) Part of
my work on port-ofppc was to make the memory map / bus_space
initialisation platform dependent. This is needed to support CHRP and
PReP/OFW machines with a single port. The final goal is to read the
memory map via OFW. Currently they are hard coded in a platform
dependent way.

BTW: Why do you wane remove struct platform from port-prep? What is bad
with having a struct platform?

> Yeah.. contact me off list about this.  I'd be interested in seeing
> some PCI dumps for the machine.
I'll do later. First I have to get this stuff runing on -current again.
(My changes are extensive and every time I run "cvs up" it fscks my
code.)

If you are interrested in helping me with port-ofppc and you don't have
hardware: I can provide access to a remote debugging facility. There you
can netboot target machines, control them via serial console and remote
power cycle them.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen